Failed Printing Replacement Parts
Many hours wasted this evening. I tried printing replacement parts for the Portabee using the Portabee but nothing, except the modified Y Bearing Holder, turns out well. It all started with wanting to replace the 2 gears on the extruder which are falling apart. They look like they're going to disintegrate anytime soon with strands of plastic coming off. The round portion of the smaller 9-tooth gear looks ok when printing. The print took a worst turn at the teeth. 4 tries were made with none looking like a gear.
I tried printing the modified Y Bearing Holder posted on Romscraj's githhub to see if I will encounter the same problem. Sad to say that it took me 3 prints to have a successful part being printed.
I'm turning to Mike for help. Maybe he can start selling replacement parts for the Portabee or even Durbie. If this goes on, I'll have to thrash the Portabee and stick to learning to play with my mills & lathes.
27/8/2012 04:14:03 am
Wong, this is one of the weaknesses I have seen on some of the 3d printer groups I visited. They seem to not have a good control of the temperature and therefore the viscosity of the plastic as it is deposited. I am surprised that they don't have an air stream cooling the plastic as it is laid down on the part.
31/8/2012 03:35:16 pm
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.