The idea is a simply one; using Gecko's VFD circuitry to output signal between 0V - 10VDC and feed that to the KBIC board. This replaces the existing speed control potentiometer.
From Jeff's writing:
This is what he came out with:
With Terence around and doing the same, I mustered up my courage and went ahead with the mod. Here is a brief write up on my journey, based on the little I understand when Terence was trying to explain to me.
If you have any questions on this mod, drop me a note, I'll ask Terence for his input if its beyond me...
The DB9 connector is for my Soigeneris' control box, which brought out the VFD to its back panel for neater connection.
The "kit" looks rather nice, much nicer that some of those I bought from companies abroad.
The square hole was more of a challenge to me. So I decided to rough it out on the mill and finish it off with either a file or the jeweller saw. As the plastic box flexes quite a lot, 2 pieces of wooden blocks were used to support from the bottom. Quite a bit of filing was needed before I managed to squeeze in the molex connector.
I've forgotten to take pics while putting back the board to the box. Its a tight squeeze but everything went in without a problem.
This stage was made so easy because of the fact that most of the things were done for me with the kit. It turned out to be not as scary as I envisaged it to be. Let me know if you are contemplating to do the same. Send me some pics if you may, while doing it. I'll post them up.
Meanwhile, have a